Text Analytics is used in many companies and industrial sectors, for instance for process optimization, for decision support, or to develop new products and services. On the other hand, there are many research groups at Swiss universities who do excellent and successful research in this field. Our goal is to bring together practitioners and researchers, to give an overview of existing solutions and technologies, and to come up with ideas for new and innovative projects using automatic text understanding.
In order to achieve this goal, we invite practitioners, analysts, end users, software vendors, researchers and data scientists to join SwissText 2017, the second edition of the national conference for text analytics.
SwissText 2017 is a one-day conference on automatic text analytics. The conference will see keynotes and presentations by distinguished international experts from research and industry, and an poster exhibition of recent research results. Last year, we had speakers from international IT giants such as Google and IBM, Swiss companies (e.g. SwissCom), startups, and several universities, and there were more than 30 posters in the exhibition.
Peter Stengard, Principal Data Scientist, Microsoft
Peter Stengard was lead data scientist for BMW Oracle Racing during the team's victorious challenge of the 33rd Americas's Cup. He is now working on large-scale solutions for text analytics at Microsoft and develops industry solutions using Artificial Intelligence for Social Analytics and Text Mining.
Verena Rieser, Professor, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
Verena Rieser leads the NLP research group on Spoken Dialogue Systems and Natural Language Generation at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. Her research aims to create accessible, interactive natural language interfaces, and she has pioneered work in using Reinforcement Learning for multimodal dialogue systems. She currently serves as a faculty advisor for the Amazon Alexa Challenge and as an area chair for ACL 2017.
Margot Mieskes, Professor, University of Applied Sciences Darmstadt
Margot Mieskes is Professor for Information Science at the University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt. Her research aims at extracting information from natural language sources (both written and spoken) for interdisciplinary applications of NLP. She has worked on text summarization, speech recognition and speech synthesis.
Call for Presentations/Posters (CLOSED)
We invite experts from research and industry to present their insights and results in text analytics at the SwissText conference.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluation of Social Media
- Semantic Analysis
- Deep Learning for Text Analysis
- Machine Translation
- Text Generation
Presentations types can be: Surveys; Technical Papers; Showcases; or Product/Tool Demonstrations.
Please see the Call for Presentations/Posters for more details.
SwissText will be held on the 9th of June 2017 in the ZHAW Eulachpassage in Winterthur (same location as last year, but more space!).
The venue is located in the historic heart of the city, a 5 minutes’ walk from Winterthur main railway station and has a directly attached parking deck.
Address: Building TN at ZHAW Campus Winterthur, Technikumstrasse 71
|Registration deadline||May 15, 2017|
|Early Bird Participation Fee, until 15.4.2017||CHF 110.–|
|Participation Fee||CHF 130.–|
Discount for students on request. Send email to email@example.com
Conference Registration includes:
- Admission to all sessions
- Coffee and refreshment breaks
- Conference apero
Conference Chair: Mark Cieliebak
Organizers: Floris Staub, Marcin Cherek, Fernando Benites
- Gerold Baudinot, Swiss Alliance for Data-Intensive Services
- Ivo Blohm, University of St. Gallen
- Mark Cieliebak, Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
- Dominique Genoud, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland (HES-SO)
- Hatem Ghorbel, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland (HES-SO)
- Martin Jaggi, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL)
- Aurelien Lucchi, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich)
- Roberto Mastropietro, University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI)
- Andrei Popescu-Belis, Idiap Research Institute
- Fabio Rinaldi, University of Zurich
- Jürgen Spielberger, Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
- Manfred Vogel, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW)
- Jürgen Vogel, Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH)
- Tim vor der Brück, Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HSLU)
The conference is organized by Datalab, the Data Science Laboratory of ZHAW.
Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI)
We offer several attractive sponsoring packages. Please consult the following Call for Sponsors for details.
Zurich University of Applied Sciences
Data Analytics Lab
Machine Learning and Optimization Laboratory
Institute of Computational Linguistics
School of Engineering
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland
University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland
Idiap Research Institute
Additional partners are always welcome. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org